In any case, before leaving, you should ALWAYS ASK LOCALS about the route you plan to take...
Apart from that:
- we drive VERY SLOW to enjoy the countryside and to avoid accidents, which we don't want to have in the remote: don't expect any emergency services there!
- we try to make the driving in the MORNING: first, we hate to be caught in the night with a technical problem, second, we like enjoying the afternoon at the place we're heading to,
- we always bring WATER because we get thirsty and humans need to drink a lot in the heat,
- we like to have a SPARE INNER TUBE with us (basic tools are good too),
- we take a FIRST AID BOX, though we haven't used it so far...
- we DON'T GO ONE person: even though in the Cambodian remote you rarely see nobody, sometimes you're really on your own,
- our phones batteries are charged in case we need to call MUMMY, thought beware that in some areas (now few) you might not have any network coverage.